CEBioS' policy-related activities
Over the years, the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences has acquired valuable experience in mainstreaming biodiversity and ecosystem services into policy sectors through its mandate as Belgian National Focal Point to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI), and the Clearing House Mechanism (CHM). The National Focal Point to GTI and CHM are part of CEBioS.
At national level, CEBioS staff participates in the following platforms:
- the Steering Committee ‘Biodiversity Convention’ and the Steering Committee ‘Nature’ operating under the authority of the Coordinating Committee for International Environmental Policy (CCIEP)
- Belgian Biodiversity Platform
- Belgian Science Policy (BELSPO)
- Belgian Development Cooperation (DGD) and Federal Public Service (FPS) Environment;
- KLIMSEC, FIABEL, Educaid, SECORES
At international level, CEBioS staff participates in:
- related to the CBD: WGRI, SBSTTA, SBI and COP
- Europe: WPIEI, DG International Partnerships (INTPA) and various working groups
- Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
- African Center for Aquatic Research and Education (ACARE)
- Congo Basin Forest Partnership (CBFP)
- various expert groups (OECD DAC ENVIRONET, SDSN, the ITAUG-group of CONNECT, ..)
In its efforts to strengthen the dialogue and develop strong partnerships between scientists, decision-makers and society, CEBioS offers this expertise to the Belgian Development Cooperation and other interested parties in Belgium and abroad during workshops or by consulting in an ad hoc and demand-driven manner.